YEARS IN FOCUS
LOCAL NEWS AND EVENTS FROM THE 1940s
PONTEFRACT IN 1946
11th JANUARY 1946
A familiar structure to Pontefract people for
generations, the Waterloo Monument, Swanhill Lane, which was another
'leaning monument', has disappeared.
Interfering with provision of houses by the Pontefract Corporation, it
was brought to grief quickly but not gracefully by a bulldozer.
Nearly three years ago a stone urn which surmounted the monument crashed
to the ground during heavy gales - luckily into the field in which the
As already recorded in 'The Express', the monument created much
speculation in the course of the years. It was not, however, public
property. It belonged to Mr. C. Pease. J.P., on whose land it stood
until the Corporation bought the land. It was erected privately by a Mr.
Edward Trueman, who was Mayor of Pontefract in 1818, and bore the
"This monument was erected September,1818, in commemoration of the
splendid and decisive victory of Waterloo, achieved by British valour
under the immortal Wellington, June 18th, 1815''.
It was supposed to be a memorial to Mr. Trueman's son, who was killed in
the battle, and to have been erected by a mason named Heseltine. Much
conjecture also has been aroused about the reason of the monument
leaning. There was not, as was previously thought, a steel rod running
the length of the column; and qualified men do not claim to explain the
There have been many arguments about the direction which it was supposed
to lean, and the official version is that it was towards the South-West
.The material with which it was built is to be used on the building
1946 Index ]
in Focus is researched by Maurice Haigh and reproduced
with the kind
permission of the Pontefract and Castleford Express.