WHO REMEMBERS THE CRANKY PIN?
ADDED 18 FEBRUARY 2006
Waterloo Monument or 'Cranky Pin' as it became known locally, was
erected in September 1818 to celebrate the victory at Waterloo and the
defeat of Napoleon in 1815.
out of brick and standing in the grounds of Edward Trueman, who was a
partner in the bank of Leatham and Tew, now Barclays Bank, it was
demolished about 1946 to make way for the then new Council housing
estate built on the site of the original Monument Lane. Trueman, five
times the Mayor of Pontefract, seems to have been the main subscriber
and instigator of the monument in recognition of his sons death at the
Battle of Waterloo.
folklore had it that the urn at the top was supposed to contain gold
coins but when it eventually fell of in a storm just prior to the
demolition of the monument it was found to be made of solid stone.
Originally it had been gilded which may have given rise to the
supposition that it contained gold.
The Waterloo Monument
monument was given the nickname of 'the Cranky Pin' by the local
populace because of the curve it developed after it's construction. The
urn was apparently presented to the town by the Pease family who owned
the land originally belonging to Mr. Trueman and was supposed to be
preserved at Monument House, the old people's home which was built on
the Circle, Chequerfield. It would be interesting to know whether it still exists as a part of
ted (at) ebrook.wanadoo.co.uk
18 February 2006
Letters Page ] [ Next> ]