South of Baghill, Pontefract

A view taken from the western side of the line near to the present Carleton Glen estate looking across to Baghill on the sky-line. Behind the smoke is Grovetown and the field in front is now Ashleigh Avenue. The station is situated in the centre background and the Castle hill to the left. Just discernible behind the right hand signal post is the Mission hut that stood on the wide verge near Grovetown Bridge and the field behind it is now occupied by Gent’s factory. The harmoniam at the Mission hut was often played by Fred Bramham who was a local postman and seemed to be attracted to mission chapels as he also played at Newgate Methodist Chapel and at Halfpenny Lane Methodist Chapel. 
The train is the afternoon Newcastle to Bristol which stopped at Baghill around 3pm over many years. The locomotive is an LMS Jubilee Class 5XP 4-6-0 No. 45577 ‘Bengal’. Date c.1958. ♠
P. Cookson

Photograph copyright © Peter Cookson